دوست عزیز، به سایت علمی نخبگان جوان خوش آمدید

مشاهده این پیام به این معنی است که شما در سایت عضو نیستید، لطفا در صورت تمایل جهت عضویت در سایت علمی نخبگان جوان اینجا کلیک کنید.

توجه داشته باشید، در صورتی که عضو سایت نباشید نمی توانید از تمامی امکانات و خدمات سایت استفاده کنید.
نمایش نتایج: از شماره 1 تا 5 , از مجموع 5

موضوع: short story

دوست آشنا
    رشته تحصیلی
    computer softwere
    نوشته ها
    ارسال تشکر
    دریافت تشکر: 2,162
    قدرت امتیاز دهی
    Array

پیش فرض short story

داستان عشق

Love Story

Where do i begin

To tell the story

Of how great ful love can be

The sweet love story

That is older than the sea

That sings the truth

about the love she brings to me

Where do i start

With the first hello

She gave the meaning

To this empty world of mine

That never did

Another love another time

She came into my life

And made a living fine

She fills my heart

With very special things

With angel songs

With wild imaginings

She fills my soul

With so much love

That anywhere i go

Im never lonely

With her along

who could be lonely

I reach for her hand

Its always there

How long does it last

Can love be measured

by the hours in a day

I have no answers no

But this much i can say

I know ill need her

till this love song burn away

And she;ll be there

How long does it last

Can love be measured

by the hours in a day

I have no answers no

But this much i can say

I know ill need her

till this love song burn away

And she'll be there

از کجا آغاز کنم
    برای تعریف این داستان
    که یک عشق تا چه حد می تواند عظیم باشد
    داستان شیرین عشق
    که از دریا نیز قدیمی تر است
    که ترانه حقیقت را می خواند
    آنچه که او از عشق برایم می آورد
    از کجا شروع کنم
    با اولین سلام
    او منظورش را به من فهماند
    در این دنیای پوچ من
    تا کنون نبوده ام
    درعشقی دیگر و باری دیگر
    او به سوی زندگی من آمد
    و زندگی خوبی برایم فراهم نمود
    او قلبم را فرا می گیرد
    با چیزهای بسیار مخصوص خود
    با ترانه یک فرشته
    با تصوراتی سراسر شوق
    او وجودم را فرا می گیرد
    با عشقی فراوان
    به حدی که به هرجا که می روم
    هرگز تنها نیستم
    کسی که با او باشد
    چگونه می تواند تنها باشد
    دستانش را لمس می کنم
    هیمشه اینجاست
    چه زمانی لازم است
    تا بتوان عشقی را اندازه گرفت
    با ساعات روز
    پاسخی ندارم ، نه
    اما بیش از این نمی توانم بگویم
    می دانم که به او نیاز خواهم داشت
    تا این داستان عشق به سوختنش ادامه می دهد
    و او در انجا خواهد بود …
    چه زمانی لازم است
    تا بتوان عشقی را اندازه گرفت
    با ساعات روز
    پاسخی ندارم ، نه
    اما بیش از این نمی توانم بگویم
    می دانم که به او نیاز خواهم داشت
    تا این داستان عشق به سوختنش ادامه می دهد
    و او در انجا خواهد بود …
    ویرایش توسط ElaBel : 6th June 2010 در ساعت 09:16 AM

ElaBel in Njavan

2. 3 کاربر از پست مفید ElaBel سپاس کرده اند .

دوست آشنا
    رشته تحصیلی
    computer softwere
    نوشته ها
    ارسال تشکر
    قدرت امتیاز دهی
    Array

پیش فرض پاسخ : short story

The Wicker Husband

Once upon a time, there was an ugly girl. She was short and dumpy, had one leg a bit shorter than the other, and her eyebrows met in the middle. The ugly girl gutted fish for a living, so her hands smelt funny and her dress was covered in scales. She had no mother or brother, no father, sister, or any friends. She lived in a ramshackle house on the outskirts of the village, and she never complained.
    One by one, the village girls married the local lads, and up the path to the church they'd prance, smiling all the way. At the weddings, the ugly girl always stood at the back of the church, smelling slightly of brine. The village women gossiped about the ugly girl. They wondered what she did with the money she earnt. The ugly girl never bought a new frock, never made repairs to the house, and never drank in the village tavern.
    Now, it so happened that outside the village, in a great damp swamp, lived an old basket-maker who was famed for the quality of his work. One day the old basket-maker heard a knock on his door. When he opened it, the ugly girl stood there. In her hand, she held six gold coins.
    'I want you to make me a husband,' she said.
    'Come back in a month,' he replied.
    Well, the old basket-maker was greatly moved that the ugly girl had entrusted him with such an important task. He resolved to make her the best husband he could. He made the wicker husband broad of shoulder and long of leg, and all the other things women like. He made him strong of arm and elegant of neck, and his brows were wide and well-spaced. His hair was a fine dark brown, his eyes a greenish hazel.
    When the day came, the ugly girl knocked on the basket-maker's door.
    'He says today is too soon. He will be in the church tomorrow, at ten,' said the basket-maker. The ugly girl went away, and spent the day scraping scales from her dress.
    < 2 >
    Later that night, there was a knock on the door of the village tailor. When the tailor opened it, the wicker husband stood outside.
    'Lend me a suit,' he said. 'I am getting married in the morning, and I cannot go to church naked.'
    'Aaaaaaargh!' yelled the tailor, and ran out the back door.
    The tailor's wife came out, wiping her hands. 'What's going on?' she said.
    'Lend me a suit,' said the wicker husband. 'I am getting married tomorrow, and I cannot go to my wedding naked.'
    The tailor's wife gave him a suit, and slammed the door in his face.
    Next, there was a knock on the door of the village shoe-maker. When the shoe-maker opened it, the wicker husband stood there.
    'Lend me some shoes,' he said. 'I am getting married in the morning, and I cannot go to church barefoot.'
    'Aaaaaaargh!' yelled the shoe-maker, and he ran out the back door.
    The shoe-maker's wife came out, her hands trembling.
    'What do you want?' she said.
    'Lend me some shoes,' said the wicker husband. 'I am getting married in the morning, and I cannot go to my wedding barefoot.'
    The shoe-maker's wife gave him a pair of shoes, and slammed the door in his face. Next, the wicker husband went to the village inn.
    'Give me a drink,' said the wicker husband. 'I am getting married tomorrow, and I wish to celebrate.'
    'Aaaaaaargh!' yelled the inn-keeper and all his customers, and out they ran. The poor wicker husband went behind the bar, and poured himself a drink.
    When the ugly girl got to church in the morning, she was mighty pleased to find her husband so handsome, and so well turned-out.
    < 3 >
    When the couple had enjoyed their first night of marriage, the wicker husband said to his wife: 'This bed is broken. Bring me a chisel: I will fix it.'
    So like a good husband, he began to fix the bed. The ugly girl went out to gut fish. When she came back at the end of the day, the wicker husband looked at her, and said: 'I was made to be with you.'
    When the couple had enjoyed their second night of marriage, the wicker husband said: 'This roof is leaky. Bring me a ladder: I will fix it.'
    So, like a good husband, he climbed up and began to fix the thatch. The ugly girl went out to gut fish. When she returned in the evening, the wicker husband looked at his wife, and said: 'Without you, I should never have seen the sun on the water, or the clouds in the sky.'
    When the couple had enjoyed their third night of marriage, the ugly girl got ready to out. 'The chimney needs cleaning,' she said, hopefully, 'And the fire could be laid...' But at this, the wicker husband - she was just beginning to learn his expressions - looked completely terrified. From this, the ugly girl came to understand that there are some things you cannot ask a man to do, even if he is very kind.
    Over the weeks, the villagers began to notice a change in the ugly girl. If one of her legs was still shorter than the other, her hips moved with a swing that didn't please them. If she still smelt funny, she sang while she gutted the fish. She bought a new frock and wore flowers in her hair. Even her eyebrows no longer met in the middle: the wicker husband had pulled them out with his strong, withied fingers. When the villagers passed the ugly girl's house, they saw it had been painted anew, the windows sparkled, and the door no longer hung askew. You might think that all these changes pleased the villagers, but oh no. Instead, wives pointed out to husbands that their doors needed fixing, and why didn't they offer? The men retorted that maybe if their wives made an effort with new frocks and flowers in their hair, then maybe they'd feel like fixing the house, and everybody grumbled and cursed each other, but secretly, in their hearts, they blamed the ugly girl and her husband.
    < 4 >
    As to the ugly girl, she didn't notice all the jealousy. She was too busy growing accustomed to married life, and was finding that the advantages of a wicker husband outweighed his few shortcomings. The wicker husband didn't eat, and never complained that his dinner was late. He only drank water, the muddier the better. She was a little sad that she could not cook him dinner like an ordinary man, and watch him while he ate. In the cold nights, she hoped they would sit together close to the fire, but he preferred the darkness, far from the flames. The ugly girl got in the habit of calling across the room all the things she had to say to him. As winter turned to spring, and rain pelted down, the wicker husband became a little mouldy, and the ugly girl had to scrub him down with a brush and a bottle of vinegar. Spring turned to summer, and June was very dry. The wicker husband complained of stiffness in his joints, and spent the hottest hour of the day lying in the stream. The ugly girl took her fish-gutting, and sat on the bank, keeping him company.
    Eventually the villagers were too ridden with curiosity to stand it any longer. There was a wedding in the village: the ugly girl and her husband were invited. At the wedding, there was music and dancing, and food and wine. As the musicians struck up, the wicker husband and the ugly girl went to dance. The villagers could not help staring: the wicker husband moved so fine. He lifted his dumpy wife like she was nought but a feather, and swung her round and round. He swayed and shimmered; he was elegant, he was graceful. As for the ugly girl: she was in heaven.
    The women began to whisper behind their hands. Now, the blacksmith's wife was boldest, and she resolved to ask the wicker husband to dance. When the music paused she went towards the couple. The ugly girl was sitting in the wicker husband's lap, so he creaked a little. The blacksmith's wife was about to tap the wicker husband on the shoulder, but his arms were wrapped round the ugly girl.
    < 5 >
    'You are the only reason that I live and breathe,' the wicker husband said to his wife.
    The blacksmith's wife heard what he said, and went off, sulking. The next day there were many frayed tempers in the village.
    'You've got two left feet!' shouted the shoe-maker's wife at her husband.
    'You never tell me anything nice!' yelled the blacksmith's wife.
    'All you do is look at other women!' shouted the baker's wife, though how she knew was a mystery, as she'd done nothing but stare at the wicker husband all night. The husbands fled their homes and congregated in the tavern.
    'T'aint right,' they muttered, 'T'isn't natural.'
    'E's showing us up.'
    'Painting doors.'
    'Fixing thatch.'
    'Murmuring sweet nothings.'
    'Dancing!' muttered the blacksmith, and they all spat.
    'He's not really a man,' muttered the baker. 'An abomination!'
    'He don't eat.'
    'He don't grumble.'
    'He don't even fart,' added the tailor, gloomily.
    The men shook their heads, and agreed that it couldn't go on.
    Meanwhile the women congregated in each other's kitchens.
    'It's not right,' they muttered. 'Why does she deserve him?'
    'It's an enchantment,' they whispered. 'She bewitched him.'
    'She'll be onto our husbands next, I expect,' said the baker's wife. 'We should be careful.'
    'She needs to be brought down a peg or two.'
    'Fancies that she's better than the rest of us, I reckon.'
    'Flowers in her hair!!'
    < 6 >
    ?'Did you see her dancing'
    And they all agreed that it couldn't go on.
    One day the wicker husband was on his way back from checking the fish-traps, when he was accosted by the baker.
    'Hello,' said the baker. The wicker husband was a little surprised: the baker never bothered to speak to him. 'You made an impression the other night.'
    'I did?' said the wicker husband.
    'Oh yes,' continued the baker. 'The women are all aflutter. Don't you ever think - well...'
    'What?' said the wicker husband, completely confused.
    'Man like you,' said the baker. 'Could do well for himself. A lot of opportunities...' He leaned forward, so the wicker husband recoiled. The baker's breath smelt of dough, which he found unpleasant. 'Butcher's wife,' added the baker meaningfully. 'Very taken. I know for a fact that he's not at home. Gone to visit his brother in the city. Why don't you go round?'
    'I can't,' said the wicker husband. 'My wife's waiting for me at home.' And he strode off, up the lane. The baker went home, annoyed.
    Now the wicker husband, who was too trusting, thought less of this of this than he should, and did not warn his wife that trouble was brewing. About a week later, the ugly girl was picking berries in the hedgerow, when the tailor's wife sidled up. Her own basket was empty, which made the ugly girl suspicious.
    'My dear!' cried the tailor's wife, fluttering her hands.
    'What d'you want?' said the ugly girl.
    The tailor's wife wiped away a fake tear, and looked in both directions. 'My dear,' she whispered. 'I'm only here to warn you. Your husband - he's been seen with other women.'
    'What other women?' said the ugly girl.
    < 7 >
    The tailor's wife fluttered her hands. This wasn't going as she intended. 'My dear, you can't trust men. They're all the same. And you can't expect - a man like him, and a woman like you - frankly -'
    The ugly girl was so angry that she hit the tailor's wife with her basket, and ran off, up the lane. The ugly girl went home, and - knowing more of cruelty than her husband did - thought on this too much and too long. But she did not want to upset her husband, so she said nothing.
    The tailor's wife came home fuming, with scratches all over her face. That night, the wives and husbands of the village all agreed - for once - that something drastic had to be done.

A few days later the old basket-maker heard a knocking at his door. When he opened it, the villagers stood outside. Right on cue, the tailor's wife began to weep, pitifully.
    'What's the matter?' said the old basket-maker.
    'She's childless,' said the baker's wife, sniffing.
    'Not a son,' said the tailor, sadly.
    'Or a daughter.'
    'No-one to comfort them in their old age,' added the butcher.
    'It's breaking their hearts,' went on the baker.
    'So we've come to ask -'
    'If you'll make us a baby. Out of wicker.'
    And they held out a bag of gold.
    'Very well,' said the old basket-maker. 'Come back in a month.'
    Well, one dusky day in autumn, the ugly girl was sitting by the fire, when there came a knock at the door. The wicker husband opened it. Outside, stood the villagers. The tailor's wife bore a bundle in her arms, and the bundle began to whimper.
    < 8 >
    'What's that?' said the ugly girl.
    'This is all your fault,' hissed the butcher, pointing at the wicker husband.
    'Look what you've done!' shouted the baker.
    'It's an abomination,' sneered the inn-keeper. 'Not even human!'
    The tailor pulled away the blanket. The ugly girl saw that the baby was made of wicker. It had the same shaped nose, the same green eyes that her husband did.
    'Tell me it's not true!' she cried.
    But the wicker husband said nothing. He just stared at the baby. He had never seen one of his own kind before, and now - his heart filled up with tenderness. When the ugly girl saw this on his face, a great cloud of bitterness came upon her. She sank to the floor, moaning.
    'Filthy, foul, creature!' cried the tailor. 'I should burn it!' He seized the baby, and made to fling it into the blaze. At this, the wicker husband let out a yell. Forward he leapt.
    The ugly girl let out a terrible cry. She took the lamp, and flung it straight at her husband. The lamp burst in shards of glass. Oil went everywhere. Flames began to lick at the wicker husband's chest, up his neck, into his face. He tried to beat at the flames, but his fingers grew oily, and burst into fire. Out he ran, shrieking, and plunged into the river.
    'Well, that worked well,' said the butcher, in a satisfied manner.
    The villagers did not spare a second glance for the ugly girl, but went home again to their dinners. On the way, the tailor's wife threw the wicker baby in the ditch. She stamped on its face. 'Ugh,' she said. 'Horrible thing.'
    The next day the ugly girl wandered the highways, weeping, her face smeared in ashes.
    < 9 >
    'Have you seen my husband?' she asked passing travellers, but they saw madness in her eyes, and spurred their horses on. Dusk fell. Stumbling home, scarce knowing where she was, the ugly girl heard a sound in the ditch. Kneeling, she found the wicker baby. It wailed and thrashed, and held up its hands. The ugly girl saw in its face her husband's eyes, and her husband's nose. She coddled it to her chest and took it home.
    Now, the old basket maker knew nothing of all this. One day, the old man took it into his head to see how his creations were faring. He walked into town, and knocked on the tailor's door. The wife answered.
    'How is the baby?' he said.
    'Oh that,' she said. 'It died.' And she shut the door in his face. The old basket-maker walked on, till he came to the ugly girl's place. The door was closed, the garden untended, and dirt smeared the windows. The old basket-maker knocked on the door. No-one answered, though he waited a very long time.
    The old-basket maker went home, disheartened. He was walking the long dark road into the swamp, when he heard something in the rushes. At first he was afraid: he wrapped his scarf closer round his face. But the thing seemed to follow him. From time to time, it groaned.
    'Who's there?' called the old man.
    Out onto the roadway staggered the most broken and bedraggled, the most pathetic and pitiful thing. The old basket-maker stared at what was left of the wicker husband: his hands consumed by fire, his face equally gone. Dark pits of scorched wood marred his chest. Where he had burnt, he had started to rot.
    'What have they done to my children?' cried the old basket-maker.
    The wicker husband said nothing: he had lost his tongue.
    The old basket-maker took the wicker husband home. As daylight came, the old basket-maker sat down to repair him. But as he worked, his heart grew hot with anger.
    < 10 >
    'I made you, but I failed you,' he said. 'I will not send you there again.'
    Eventually, the wicker husband looked as good as new, though the smell of burning still clung. But as the days passed, a damp black mould began to grow on him. The old basket-maker pulled out the rotting withies and replaced them. But it seemed useless: the wicker husband rotted from the inside, outwards.
    At last, the old basket-maker saw there was nothing else to be done. He took up his travelling cloak, set out at night, and passed through the village. He came to the ugly girl's house. In the garden, wreathed in filth, stood the ugly girl, cuddling a child. She was singing the saddest lullaby he had ever heard. The old basket-maker saw that the child was the one he'd made, and his heart softened a little. He stepped out of the shadows.
    'Why do you keep the baby,' he said, 'when you cast your husband from home?'
    The ugly girl cried out, to hear someone speak to her.
    'It is all I have left of my husband,' she said at last. 'Though it is proof he betrayed me, I could not leave it in the ditch to die.'
    'You are a fool,' he said. 'It was I that made the child. Your husband is innocent.'
    At this, the ugly girl let out a cry, and ran towards the river. But old basket-maker caught her arm. 'Wait - I have something to show you,' he said.
    The ugly girl walked behind him, through the swamp where the water sucked and burbled, carrying the baby. As the sun rose, she saw that its features were only those of the old basket-maker, who, like any maker, had passed down his face to his creations.
    When they came to the dwelling, the ugly girl opened the door, and saw her husband, sitting in darkness.
    < 11 >
    'It cannot be you,' she said. 'You are dead. I know: I killed you myself.'
    'I was made for you alone,' said the wicker husband, 'But you threw me away.'
    The ugly girl let out a cry so loud, birds surfaced from the marches for miles around, and threw herself at her husband's feet.

A few days later, the villagers were surprised to see the old basket-maker standing outside the church.
    'I have something to say,' he said. 'Soon I will retire. But first, I am making my masterwork - a woman made of wicker. If you want her, you can have her. But you must bring me a gift for my retirement. Whoever brings me the best gift can have the wicker woman.'
    Then he turned round and went back to the swamp.
    Behind him, the villagers began to whisper. Hadn't the wicker husband been tall and graceful? Hadn't he been a hard worker? Hadn't he been handsome, and eager to please his wife?
    Next day, the entire village denied any interest in the wicker lady, but secretly began to plan. Men eyed up prize cows; women sneaked open jewellery boxes.
    'That wicker husband worked like a slave, and never even ate,' said the shoe-maker's wife to her husband. 'Get me the wicker woman as a servant, I'll live like a lady, never lift a finger.'
    'That wicker husband never quarrelled with anyone, never even raised his voice. Not like you, you old fishwife,' the inn-keeper said to his wife.
    'That wicker husband never tired, and never had a headache,' said the butcher to the baker. 'Imagine...!'
    'Lend me a shilling, cousin,' said the shoe-maker's wife. 'I need a new petticoat.'
    'I can't,' lied the blacksmith's wife. 'I spent it on medicine. The child was very sick.'
    < 12 >
    'I need that back-rent you owe me,' said the butcher, who owned the tailor's house.
    'Been a very bad season in the tailoring trade,' muttered the tailor. 'You'll get it soon.'
    The butcher went into town, hired a lawyer, and got the tailor evicted from his house. The tailor and his wife had to go and live in the shoe-maker's shed.
    'But what are you going to do with the empty house?' asked the butcher's wife.
    'Nothing,' said the butcher, who thought the place would do admirably to keep a mistress. The butcher's wife and the tailor's wife had a fight in the market, and went home with black eyes. In the tavern, no-one spoke, but only eyed each other, suspiciously. The lawyer was still in town. Rumour had it that the tailor's wife was suing for divorce: the inn-keeper's wife had her husband arrested after she found the stairs had been greased. In short, the fields went uncut, the cows went unmilked, ovens uncleaned: the village was obsessed.
    When the day came, the old basket-maker came to town, and sat on the churchyard wall. The villagers brought their gifts. First the tailor, who'd made a luxurious coat. Next the miller, bringing twelve sacks of grain. The baker made the most extravagant cake; the carpenter brought a table and chairs, the carter a good strong horse. The blacksmith's wife staggered up with a cheese the size of a millwheel. Her cousin, the tailor's wife, arrived with a bag of gold.
    'Where d'you get that, wife?' said her husband, amazed.
    'Never you mind,' she snapped.
    The inn-keeper's wife wasn't there: she'd slipped while climbing the stairs.
    Last to come was the butcher. He'd really outdone the others: two oxen, four cows, and a dozen sheep.
    The old-basket maker looked around him. 'Well,' he said. 'I think the prize goes to... the butcher. I'll just take these and be back, with the wicker lady.'
    < 13 >
    The butcher was so pleased, spittle ran from his mouth.
    'Can I have my grain back?' said the miller.
    'No no,' said the old man. 'That wasn't the bargain.' And he began to load all the goods onto the horse. The villagers would have fallen on each other, fighting, but they were so desperate to see the wicker lady, they just stood there, to wait.
    It was dusk by the time the basket-maker returned. The wicker woman was seated on the horse, shrouded in a cloak, veiled like a bride. From under the cloak, white flowers fell. As she passed the villagers, a most marvellous smell drifted down.
    The butcher stood outside the tailor's old house. He'd locked his wife in the coal cellar in preparation.
    The old basket-maker held out a hand, and helped the lady dismount. The butcher smelt her fragrance. From under the veil, he thought he saw her give him a saucy glance. He was so excited, he hopped from foot to foot.
    The wicker lady lifted her veil: she took off her cloak. The butcher stared at her. The wicker lady was short of stature and twisted of limb, her face was dark and rough. But worse than that - from head to foot, she was covered in thorns.
    'What have you done?' shrieked the butcher.
    'Ah,' said the old basket-maker. 'The wicker husband was made of willow. Willow is the kindest of trees: tall, elegant, pliable, of much assistance in easing pain. But I saw that you did not like him. Therefore I made you the wicker lady from blackthorn. Blackthorn is cold, hard, and thorny - it will not be killed, either by fire or frost.'
    The villagers would have fallen on the old basket-maker there and then, had not the wicker lady stepped forward. She seized hold of the butcher and reached up to kiss him. The butcher let out a howl. When he pulled his lips away, they were shredded and tattered: blood ran down his chin. Then, with a bang, the butcher's wife broke out of the coal cellar, and ran down the road. Seeing the wicker lady kissing her husband, she screamed, and fell on her. The two of them rolled in the gutter, howling and scratching.
    < 14 >
    Just then, the lawyer piped up. 'Didn't you check the details first?' he said. 'It's very important. You should always check the small print.'
    The men of the village took their butcher's knives and pitchforks and tailoring shears, and chased the lawyer out of town. When they'd run out of breath, they stopped.
    'That old fraud the basket-maker,' said the baker. 'He tricked us.'
    So they turned round and began to go back in the other direction, on the road into the swamp. In the darkness they stumbled and squelched, lost their way and nearly drowned. It was light by the time they came to the old basket-maker's dwelling, but the old basket-maker, the wicker husband, the ugly girl and the baby, as well as all the villagers' goods, had already upped, and gone.
    ویرایش توسط ElaBel : 6th June 2010 در ساعت 09:30 AM

ElaBel in Njavan

4. 4 کاربر از پست مفید ElaBel سپاس کرده اند .

دوست آشنا
    رشته تحصیلی
    computer softwere
    نوشته ها
    ارسال تشکر
    قدرت امتیاز دهی
    Array

Gifts to the Dark Gods

The tap on her shoulder freezes her; the quiet, warning voice in her ear is exactly what she has feared. In a small dark place inside herself she is prepared for both. She had not expected a teenager.
    "Come with me please, Madam," the young man says, his back stiff with self-importance.
    He is young enough to be her son; young enough to be one of the troubled youths she tutors in the small charity-run literacy programme in the suburbs. She is tutoring a boy now: he has a tattoo on his forehead that spells HATE and eyes that dart around the room, alert for predators. This young man, though also dark skinned and mixed-race, keeps his eyes averted. He is smooth suited and smells of fresh citrus cologne as he grips her arm and leads her to the manager's office.
    The manager is tired and he lowers his pale lashes when he asks to see her ID, as if asking for something intimate, inappropriate. Then he turns to his computer.
    Helen swallows. This is new. As he scrutinises the screen, then types something into the computer, fear knots her chest. Her name is now accessible to every major store in the city. The next time she is caught she will be arrested and booked. No question.
    "Is that legal?" she asks. "Storing information on someone who hasn't even been charged?"
    "You want to call your husband?" he replies, with a tiny smile. "Or a lawyer?"
    "My husband is a lawyer," Helen says.
    The manager blinks rapidly, the smile vanishes. The young man who had escorted her from the jewellery department leans against the door and makes a small groaning sound.
    "He'll be very angry if I call him," Helen says. "At me. Or at you. I'm afraid he's likely to make a big fuss about wrongful arrest."
    They understand her. She knows they haven't called the police yet. She is carrying a fat wad of cash in her purse, four credit cards, including a Platinum American Express and their own Valued Customer Card. She wears an emerald ring, an anniversary gift from her husband. The diamond studs in her ears are one caret each. She is easily able to pay for the designer scarf and the hard plastic earrings in the shape of sunflowers she was seen to stuff into her bag. Helen knows that what most disturbs them is that these are two different items, from two separate counters. But she always steals two items. That is one of her rules. It has to be two items, from different counters, from the same floor of the same store. But they want to let her go. They don't want trouble.

< 2 >
    "Perhaps if I pay for these things now? " she asks.
    When she reaches her car, Helen is shaking too hard to insert the key into the car door. She stands still, taking deep, gulping breaths, willing herself to calm down. That was too close.
    They had almost called Daniel. The thought makes her light-headed. Her husband is a man of principle and firm opinions. A strong man, which is why she married him. He seemed the type of man who would take care of her. And he has. But his view of the law is simple and punitive. He thinks that teenage gang members who commit murder should be executed, that fourteen-year-old thieves should be tried as adults. Only yesterday they had disagreed over a youth arrested for stealing a bottle of cider in a local off-license.
    "It was an initiation thing," Helen had said. "His mother's a crack head. He wants to be part of the gang. He wants a family."
    Daniel had given her a long look.
    "He's probably been unhappy and hungry all of his life," Helen added.
    "Nobody's hungry in this country, " Daniel said. He actually believed it. "You heard of Benefits?"
    Helen thought of the people in the literacy programme – young and old, struggling with so many demons. Hunger was not unknown. Though her teenage pupils were more likely to eat badly than not at all, their problems went far beyond an inability to read or write.
    Daniel knows little about the literacy programme. He believes she teaches pensioners how to use a computer. He would not understand Amanda, the girl who carries a kitchen knife to make small cuts in her wrists when she is stressed. Or Zak, the boy with HATE tattooed on his forehead.
    When she first met Daniel, he was studying law and she was passionately involved in a course on Writing and Madness. She would quote Rimbaud, Breton, Artaud, Foucault. He teased her for taking this "foreign" literature seriously. He made her feel stupid for liking it, stupid for understanding it. An irony that did not occur to her until much later.

< 3 >
    There are many things, she admits now, that Daniel does not understand. Things that are grey, with edges that are undefined, confuse him. He would not understand what had happened today in the department store.
    In the newly decorated bedroom of her immaculate suburban home, Helen places the earrings and scarf in the locked trunk with the other shoplifted items. There are hundreds of them now. Many hundreds. She calls them her gifts to the dark gods. She knows that it is the dark gods who turn the wheels of a tricycle and send the toddler screaming into traffic, the dark gods who guide children to falling fences, hidden currents and smiling strangers with death in their black hearts. She cannot afford to stop now, after such a soft, uneventful life. Who knows what vengeance the dark gods might take?
    She can't remember exactly when it began. It was soon after Chloe and Nick left for university, when she quit her job at the advertising company. When she became, as Daniel describes her, a lady of leisure.
    "We can afford it, sweetheart. Do charity work or something. No need for you to stress out in
    advertising."
    It started in Marks and Spencer's food hall: she stole a chocolate bar at the counter. A week later she took a magazine. It grew to two items a week. The rules gradually became more complex and demanding. The rule now is: two items a week by Friday at three in the afternoon. The items have to be from the same store, on the same floor, and they have to be different. Two scarves, for example, won't do. Today's items, the pretty scarf, the silly earrings, don't qualify because she has paid for them. The problem now is that she is behind. She is two items behind. And it is already Thursday. Tomorrow then. At the Mall.
    "Meet me for lunch tomorrow?" Daniel asks, as they have dinner. "That client we met at the Algarve. John Stanton? He's in town with his wife. "

< 4 >
    Helen stares.
    "Tomorrow?" she repeats. "Where?"
    "The Blanc place."
    He studies her expression.
    "Busy day?" he asks. "Hair appointment?"
    He laughs. There is a strange pride in the way he teases her about her empty, frivolous days. He is the sole breadwinner now.
    "No problem. The Blanc place it is," she says.
    But Helen is seething. That means the local mall is out. That means it has to be the city centre again. She was there last week, when that middle-aged businessman followed her around. She knew he was plain-clothes security. He had the look. She was carrying her Debenham's bag; she always carries a department store bag with a number of purchased items inside it. A basic rule. And she was dressed well and carrying a good quality handbag. Her new one is Italian and black linen, full of expensive clues to background and breeding. Intimidation. The guy hadn't been intimidated though. He'd stayed close.
    In the city centre the following day, Helen avoids Harvey Nicks, too many close calls there, and heads to House of Fraser. A lanky kid in sweats shoots up from nowhere. He is behind her as she enters the store. He is still there at the jewellery counter. She is certain he is security; she has learned to spot them. Helen avoids looking at him. She picks up a scarf, replaces it, studies earrings, bracelets, tries one of them on her wrist, then puts it back. He waits, watching.
    When she takes the escalator, he is four people behind her. Lingerie will smoke him out, she knows that. It's worked well before. Plain-clothes store detectives stand out in the red satin thongs and French bra department. But he's behind her. She can feel him. She glances at her watch and catches her breath. She is almost out of time. She has to be at the restaurant in half an hour.

< 5 >
    "May I help you, ma'am?" asks a salesgirl. She is a sweet Barbie doll of a girl, about Chloe's age. Security kid must have alerted her.
    "Just looking," Helen smiles, panic starting in her chest. Her heart begins pounding. She is not going to be able to do it. The kid stands only ten yards away, and he is watching openly. She meets his gaze, then tries to smile.
    "Hello there," she says. He turns away.
    She is ten minutes late to the restaurant and Helen is damp with fear. It is Friday and already 1:30 p.m. It will have to be items from the restaurant: knives, forks, saltshakers. She has done it before but it is awkward, and this is her husband's client.
    John Stanton and his wife, Barbara, are already seated at the table, sipping aperitifs. Barbara has the kind of drink no one orders in the city anymore: a martini with an olive. His looks like a scotch.
    Daniel regards her with some disapproval.
    "Sorry," she says. "Traffic."
    She shakes hands and smiles but she is starting to tremble. She is running out of time. It will soon be too late.
    Barbara Stanton has the perfectly manicured and coiffed look of the suburban matron. A generation ago her type of woman would have had blue hair. Her hair is streaked blonde, her chin tucked, her skin spa-pampered. She smiles a white, wide smile.
    "Lovely to meet you," she says. The men talk business, the women chat about children. The competition is equally fierce on both ends of the table.
    "Your daughter's at Cambridge?" asks Barbara.
    "Yes. Chloe's choice. And Nick's at Edinburgh. Medical school. As far away from home as they could get! You have two sons?"
    "Yes. Both Oxford," says Barbara, her smile victorious.

< 6 >
    They exchange photographs, making admiring noises.
    "Chloe looks just like you," Barbara says.
    Helen cannot see it. Her bright, lovely daughter, Chloe: so confident, so creative. She is amazed that she produced these children. The gene pool had obviously sucked more from Daniel's side during their formation; all the classy traits from his Patrician Berkshire family are visible. Her own working class genes are not in evidence.
    Helen lifts the fish knife, turns it over, and places her hand over it. The waiter appears with salad, and takes the knife away with a swift, smooth stroke. Too late. They are too efficient here. She looks at the dessert spoons. Possibly, possibly. She is sweating. Her blouse is sticking to her back and she can feel her hair, damp, curling against her neck. Her heart is starting to pound, a hard nauseating pounding. Panic attacks, her therapist, Martha Kim, calls them.
    "Terrifying but temporary," she had said to Helen when they first began.
    "I think I'm going to die; that's how it feels."
    "No-one dies of panic attacks. Stay calm until it passes."
    Helen has not told Martha the reason for these attacks. The stealing, the rigid rules about the stealing, is something she has never shared with anyone. How could Martha, with her small, empathetic smile, understand about dark gods?
    When the waiter asks about dessert, Helen pretends an interest only to keep the silverware on the table. She studies the menu: chocolate mousse, crème caramel. She looks up, and so quickly that she wants to cry out, the waiter is there and the silverware is gone. The table is bare. Helen looks at him.
    "Decided?" the young man asks.
    "Oh, nothing. Thank you." She knows her mouth is trembling. "Excuse me."
    In the ladies room, she stands at the sink, fighting the nausea. It is fifteen minutes to three. It would be awful to vomit; she hates that. She splashes cold water on her face. She is ashen, her eyes wide with fear. In the mirror suddenly she sees Barbara Stanton's face.

< 7 >
    "Are you all right, my dear?" Barbara asks. "You turned so white in there."
    "Fine, fine, thank you," Helen says weakly.
    "You're not pregnant, are you?"
    "Lord no. No. Too old for that. Menopause more likely."
    "Is that it? You look so young."
    Helen continues staring into the mirror as Barbara disappears into the stall. Barbara has left her purse on the counter. Helen takes a breath, listens, every nerve ending on red alert. The purse is soft kid leather, black with a silver snap clasp. Helen opens it.
    "You get the hot flashes too?" calls Barbara.
    "Hmm. Yes. Sometimes."
    "St. John's Wort, dear. Try it. Better than estrogen. Works like a charm. More natural."
    Helen is not listening. She is staring into the bag. A lipstick. Estee Lauder. She recognizes the casing. She takes it. And…what else? ****! What else? The bag is a tip. The toilet flushes. Helen grabs a tiny leather purse. It is tight in her fist when Barbara comes out of the stall and begins to rinse her hands. She smiles at Helen.
    Helen catches sight of herself in the mirror: her eyes are round, sparked with fear. She has realised that the tiny purse, curled in her palm, surrounds sharp metal. Something is protruding. Car keys. Oh shit. They will turn the place upside down. Barbara must have driven here. Must have parked her car outside. They'll search the place. Helen drops the car keys on the floor.
    "Oh," she says, her voice too high. "You dropped something. That yours?"
    Barbara still has her hands under the tap. She looks at Helen, then glances at her bag. It is lying on its side, closed. Helen had snapped it shut automatically. Barbara dries her hands slowly, then stoops down to pick up the little purse containing the car keys. She opens her bag, looks into it, running her finger along her lower lip. Then she turns to Helen. She studies Helen for a long moment. There is no censure in her look, only sympathy.

< 8 >
    "What were you looking for, my dear?" Barbara asks finally. "Is there a problem?"
    For just a moment, Helen hesitates; it would be so easy to say, yes. Yes, there is a problem. As she has not been able to say to Martha Kim, or ever to her husband. But she shakes her head.
    "What do you mean?"
    "Does your husband know about this?"
    "I don't know what you're talking about."
    "He should. He could help you to find counselling. Before it becomes," there is a pause while she thinks of the right word. "Public."
    She snaps her bag closed, looks hard at Helen.
    "Someone should mention it to him," she says quietly as she walks out.
    Helen stands still for a few minutes trying to curb the shaking, fumbling in her bag for Valium. She finds only Paracetemol and takes three of those. Anything will do, anything. When she walks back into the restaurant, only Daniel sits there.
    "The Stantons leave?" she asks.
    "Yes, had to rush. Is that woman a bit loopy? She said you were distressed. You had issues to discuss."
    He stares at her, astounded.
    "Sent John off to get the car for Christ's sake, then starts whispering in my ear, talking some psychobabble crap."
    He shakes his head.
    "She left you her card."
    Daniel picks up a business card:
    "You don't want it, do you? I'd avoid her if I were you."
    Helen shakes her head and he tears up the card, throws it onto the tiny saucer that holds a candle.

< 9 >
    "Ready to go?" he asks.
    Helen nods her head but she is barely listening. All she can think is that it is two minutes to three and she has only the lipstick. Only the lipstick. She is an item short. She is one ****ing item short. She lifts the napkin as if to wipe her mouth, but the waiter is beside her, holding her chair, helping her up. The napkin has to go back on the table.
    On the way to the door, Helen begins to shake. She can feel the shaking from her knees right up to her hair. So hard and strong is the shuddering that her head trembles on her neck. Fast, impulsively, she lifts a small vase from a table near the bar. It contains daisies. Helen sniffs them. She does not look at anyone. Staring straight ahead, she puts the whole thing into her bag. Vase, water, flowers, everything. And keeps walking. She begins to breathe again. The trembling slows.
    It is then Helen notices that her skirt is damp. She pauses. Water drips from her soft linen bag onto the carpeting, onto her shoes. Helen thinks of the mess inside her bag. She imagines her wet driver's license, her sodden checkbook, the photographs of her children, the card from Chloe, all destroyed by the water from a vase. It is lunacy. Helen stops.
    "Daniel," she calls, and he turns. He is holding the door for her. "Wait. Hold this."
    She hands Daniel the bag. She does not want to drip all the way back through the restaurant. He frowns.
    "What's this? Did you drop this thing in the toilet?"
    "I forgot something," she says.
    Helen walks swiftly back to the table, praying it will still be there. The two pieces of card are curling in the saucer. She places them together. Barbara Stanton. Interior Designer. Well, why not? A start. Maybe a friend.
    When she gets outside Daniel is pacing the pavement. He holds her bag in front of him, at arm's length so that it does not drip on his suit. He stares at her.

< 10 >
    "What's going on?" he asks.
    She shrugs, meets his eyes. His frown is deepening, fear and worry are on his face but the irritation has gone.
    "Is there something the matter, Helen?"
    Helen slides Barbara Stanton's card into her pocket so that it is safe and dry then reaches for her dripping bag. With her fingers, she traces the outline of the small vase inside the bag. Still there, still intact. Her last, her very last, gift to the dark gods.
    "No. I'm fine," she says. "I'll be fine."

ElaBel in Njavan

6. 2 کاربر از پست مفید ElaBel سپاس کرده اند .

دوست آشنا
    رشته تحصیلی
    computer softwere
    نوشته ها
    ارسال تشکر
    قدرت امتیاز دهی
    Array

She is sitting on the beach, alone. Her legs are curled under her, and her hands are feeling the pebbles at her side. They are smooth, like ducks' eggs. They fit snugly into her palm. The kind of pebble David used to kill Goliath, she thinks. She looks out over the sea. It is pewter, it is lead. The waves are bloated and sullen. They clutch at the shore and rasp as they retreat, surly as a kicked cur. The wet shore shines with the slug trail residue of the waves. The cliffs, honey and butter in sunshine, are the grey of gravestones and loneliness.
    She turns the pebbles over and over, rhythmically, rocking. The wind has turned her long hair into whips which lash her cheeks red and raw. She does not tuck it behind her ears. She does not look at the bag that squats beside her. She thinks back, to the time before. She can't help it. Then, the sun was shining and the beach was innocent.
    "Mum!" The child's voice is high and excited. "Look!"
    Rosie is holding up a strand of bladder wrack as long as her whole body. It is wrapping itself around her legs and slapping against her plump little tummy encased in its white, poppy-splattered costume.
    "Great!" says Rosie's Mum. "The mermaid's tail." She is busy fashioning the stones into a face and body: dried seaweed for hair, razor bills for earrings, limbs a line of carefully chosen white pebbles. Together they place the bladder wrack under the limpet-shell belt and curve the tip towards the sea.
    "She's taller than me," says Rosie, and she lies flat on her back, arms outstretched, to demonstrate the exceptional height of the mermaid with her weedy tail.
    "When the waves come in, will she swim away?"
    "Maybe," says her Mum. "Maybe she will."
    She starts to dig. At first, she is careful. She lifts the pebbles out, one by one, and piles them to one side. They form a cairn. As she gets down below the first layer, the stones are smaller, spikier, wetter, with more sand in the mixture. She scrabbles at them but, as she scrapes, the sides cave in on top of her hands. The hole remains shallow. The fingernail on the middle finger of her left hand jangles with pain as a flint drives under the nail. Pleased, she presses down on the stone. A drop of blood falls into the mix. It is deep enough. She begins to widen, lengthen and shape the trench.
    < 2 >
    Hand in hand they skip down the beach. The waves are big today, topped by white horses whipped up by a summer breeze, but they are clear and clean as they slap on the shingle. The sea has left a sandy strip which snakes the length of the pebbly beach. Rosie and her Mum want to see their footprints: two big, two small. The sand sucks at their feet as they leap.
    "Look how far I can jump, Mum!" cries Rosie, and leaps so high and so far that her Mum thinks she will reach the sun.
    "Look how far Mum can jump!" cries Mum, and it is not so very far, really, but she laughs and hugs Rosie and the sun catches her daughter's hair and turns it into mermaid gold.
    She has finished. There is a shape gouged out of the pebbles. A human figure. A head, two arms, a torso, legs, no tail. Recognisable. Carefully she selects a pebble, white, round, a duck's egg, and places it on the edge of the shoulder. She finds a second, pure white, and lays it next to the first, not quite touching. She is drawing an outline. Like a murder victim at an American crime scene, she thinks, but the bubble of laughter does not rise in her throat. She does not know why she glances up, at that moment. A man is standing on the edge of the cliff. To her, he is the size of the middle finger of her left hand. Panic sweeps over her like sweat. He is too far away to hear her when she screams, to far to feel the stone she throws, David at Goliath.
    "When's Daddy coming back?" says Rosie.
    "In a while," says her Mum, but she's been wondering too. He's gone for ice-creams and a stroll. He doesn't like the beach. He says the cliffs make him claustrophobic. That the stones dig into his feet.
    "I want to paddle," says Rosie and she grabs at her beach shoes. They are at the bottom of the basket, under the picnic. As she pulls the shoes out, the Tupperware box with the sandwiches in it breaks open and the ham and the cheese and the wholemeal bread slices fall into the sand, butter side down.
    < 3 >
    "Rosie! Watch what you're doing!" Her Mum is sharp, harsh. Rosie shrinks, crouching to pull on her shoes, head bowed, face concealed. Her Mum sighs.
    "Never mind. We'll be mermaids when we eat it. I bet they're used to sand in their sandwiches." Rosie lifts her head and grins.
    "D'you think mermaids' bread gets soggy underwater, Mum? D'you think they have Weetabix for breakfast? Can I stick seaweed on my legs to make a tail?" Rosie chatters as her Mum picks up the food, carefully brushing the sand from each piece to make it clean.
    The man has gone. She is alone again. Alone with her shape, white-rimmed, bleached. She smoothes the body, strokes the face. Arms and legs splayed, it is like the sand angel a child makes when she throws herself spread-eagled on to the first beach of the summer. She wonders whether it is a comfortable shape. Should she have formed a curled figure, foetal, protected, warm? Is the sand angel too exposed? Or does it feel wild and free?
    The mobile trills. Rosie's Mum scrabbles through the beach bag. I can c u, the text reads. Her heart thuds as if they were still new lovers and she looks up and around, smiling. There are families on the beach, throwing balls, eating, lying in the sun. She can't see him. She looks further up. She shades her eyes against the sun with her hand. There is a man, the size of the middle finger of her left hand, standing on the top of the cliff. He is waving. She laughs, and stands up, waving back. He is still waving. Now, he is waving with both arms. She waves back, with both arms, amused. His arms are flailing, urgent. She is puzzled. Is he pointing? She turns around.
    On the top of the nearest wave bobs a white swimming costume splattered with poppies. It disappears from sight.
    She reaches into her bag, lifts out the tin canister and stands it on the pebbles. She hesitates before she unscrews the lid and her hand trembles as she reaches inside. There is not much in there, considering. She takes a handful of ash. The flakes are large and sticky. She starts with the head. She trickles the cinders into her outline, filling it in, turning it pale grey.
    < 4 >
    Running in slow motion. She must go faster, her legs are rocks, she is dragging them and then she is in the water, diving, gasping, down, under, eyes open, arms out stretching, searching, empty, up for air, screaming ‘Help!', swallowing and choking, then under again, into the swirl of the waves, the water thick, roaring in her ears, blocking her but clear and clean and she sees floating down a flash of white and thrusts towards it, grabbing and pulling, bubbles coming from a tiny mouth, hair weed flowing from a tiny head and out of the water bursting, gasping, holding her daughter in her arms and crying and hugging and struggling to the shore, she puts the little body flat on the sand and wipes the hair from the face.
    Rosie's eyes open and she smiles.
    "I was a mermaid, Mum, swimming like a mermaid!"
    She is laughing and crying and hugging and kissing the beloved cheeks, still shiny salty wet. Rosie has held her breath. No water in her mouth, no water in her lungs, no damage, the smile wide and warm. Alive.
    Her breathing slows and her heart calms. She remembers. She looks up, expectant, to the cliff edge, a wave and a smile hovering. There is no-one there. At the bottom of the cliff there is a huddle of people, their backs to the sea, bending over something, staring. A woman is running away from the group, towards the café at the end of the beach. All the families on the beach are staring at the group at the bottom of the cliff.
    As if it belongs to someone else, she hears her heart begin to pound and the blood rush into her ears.
    The shape is coloured in. The ash covers the body in a thin layer from the top of its head to the tips of its fingers and down to the heel, instep and toes. She pats it down into a thin paste layer. She had wanted to lie down beside the body, to close her eyes and feel the length once more, but her creation chills her. It is lifeless, flat, colourless. No muscles, no skin, no sinews. No blood. She takes a step back.
    < 5 >
    Holding her child clasped close to her body, Rosie's Mum runs up the beach. She screams, demanding to know what has happened, has someone fallen, but she doesn't need to ask. As they turn towards her, their faces greyed by shock, she knows. They part to let her through. They try to take her child but she clings on even as she falls to her knees beside a body, limbs awkward and misshapen, head broken like a duck's egg.
    She sits at the base of the cliff, watching the waves. They are coming closer now. Licking and biting at the shore, they have almost reached the body. It lies, a grey, cold smudge. The waves are nibbling at the fingers. Soon they will swallow the whole shape, and the ash will be absorbed by the water and swept out into the ocean, a thousand particles floating apart and away, dissolved. All that will be left tomorrow will be some of the outline in white stones. A mother will come to the beach and show her daughter. They will copy, laughing as they lie like angels and draw their outlines in the sand. Next week, next month the white stones will have gone, scattered back into the thousands already on the beach.
    Her mobile rings.
    "Mummy? When will you be back?"
    "Not long now, Rosie. I'll be home soon." And she stretches her legs, stiff with cold, as she waits for the waves to take away her love

ElaBel in Njavan

8. 2 کاربر از پست مفید ElaBel سپاس کرده اند .

دوست آشنا
    رشته تحصیلی
    computer softwere
    نوشته ها
    ارسال تشکر
    قدرت امتیاز دهی
    Array

The Ushuaia Rabbit

Translated by Michele Aynesworth
    I just read this in a newspaper: "After long months of futile attempts and several expeditions, a group of Argentine scientists has succeeded in capturing an Ushuaia rabbit, thought to be extinct for over a century. The scientists, headed by Dr. Adriلn Bertoni, caught the rabbit in one of the many forests that surround the Patagonian city. . . ."
    As I prefer specifics to generalities, and precision to transience, I would have said "in such and such a forest located in such a spot in relation to the capital of Tierra del Fuego." But we can't expect blood from a turnip or any intelligence whatsoever from journalists. Dr. "Adriلn Bertoni" is yours truly, and of course they had to misspell my name. My exact name is Andrés Bertoldi, and I am, in fact, a doctor of natural sciences, specializing in Zoology and Extinct, or Endangered, Species.
    The Ushuaia rabbit is not actually a lagomorph, much less a leporid. It's not even certain that its habitat is the forests of Tierra del Fuego. Moreover, not one has ever lived on the Isla de los Estados. The rabbit I caught – I alone, with no special equipment or help from anyone – showed up in the city of Buenos Aires near the embankment of the San Martín railroad, which runs parallel to Avenue Juan B. Justo where it crosses Soler Street in the district of Palermo.
    Far from looking for the Ushuaia rabbit, I had other worries and was headed down the sidewalk of Juan B. Justo, a bit downcast. It was hot, and I had some unpleasant, not to say worrisome, business to do at the bank on Santa Fe Avenue. Between the embankment and the sidewalk there is a wire mesh fence supported by a low wall; on the other side of the fence, I spotted the Ushuaia rabbit.
    I recognized it instantly, how could I not? But I was struck by the fact that it remained so still, for this animal is normally jumpy and restless. I thought it might be wounded.
    Be that as it may, I backed up a few meters, climbed the fence, and lowered myself catlike to the ground. I advanced stealthily, fearing at each moment that the Ushuaia rabbit would take fright, and in that case, who could catch it? It is one of the fastest animals in creation; though the cheetah is swifter in absolute terms, it is not in relative terms.
    < 2 >
    The Ushuaia rabbit turned and looked at me. Contrary to my expectations, however, it did not flee, but kept still, with the sole exception of the silver tuft of feathers that shook as if to challenge me.
    I took off my shirt and waited, stock still and bare-skinned.
    "Easy, easy, easy . . ." I kept saying.
    When I got close I slowly deployed the shirt as if it were a net, and suddenly, in one quick swoop, I had it over the rabbit, wrapping it up in a neat package. Using the sleeves and the shirttail, I tied a strong knot, allowing me to hold the bundle in my right hand and use my left to negotiate the fence once more and return to the sidewalk.
    I could not, of course, show up at the bank shirtless, much less with the Ushuaia rabbit. Thus I headed home. I have an eighth-floor apartment on Nicaragua Street, between Carranza and Bonpland. At a hardware store I picked up a birdcage of considerable size.
    The doorkeeper was washing the sidewalk in front of our building. Seeing me bare-chested, with a cage in my left hand and a restless white bundle in my right, he looked at me with more astonishment than disapproval.
    As bad luck would have it, a neighbor followed me in from the street and into the elevator. With her was her little dog, an ugly, disgusting animal. Upon picking up the smell –unnoticed by human beings – of the Ushuaia rabbit, it erupted in earsplitting barks. On the eighth floor I was able to rid myself of that woman and her stentorious nightmare.
    I locked the door with my key, prepared the cage, and with infinite care began unwrapping the shirt, trying not to upset, or worse, to hurt the Ushuaia rabbit. However, being shut in had angered it, and when I opened the cage door I couldn't stop the rabbit from hitting my arm with a stinger. I had sufficient presence of mind not to let the pain induce me to let go, and I finally managed to maneuver it safely back into the cage.
    < 3 >
    In the bathroom I washed the wound with soap and water, and, right away, with medicinal alcohol. It then occurred to me that I ought to head to the pharmacy for a tetanus shot, which I did without wasting any time.
    From the pharmacy I went straight to the bank to conclude the cursed business that had been postponed because of the Ushuaia rabbit. On the way back I picked up supplies.
    Since it lacks a masticatory apparatus during the day, the most practical thing was to cut up the lights into little pieces and mix in some milk and chickpeas; I then stirred it all together with a wooden spoon. After sniffing the concoction, the Ushuaia rabbit absorbed it with no problem, just very slowly.
    Its process of expansion begins at sunset. I therefore transferred the few pieces of living room furniture – two modest armchairs, a loveseat, and an end table – to the dining room, pushing them up against the dining table and chairs.
    Before it was too big to get past the door, I made sure it left the cage. Now free and comfortable, it was able to grow as needed. In this new state, it completely lost its aggressivity, and now became apathetic and lazy. When I saw its violet scales pop out – a sign of sleepiness – I headed for the bedroom, went to bed, and called it a day.
    The next morning the Ushuaia rabbit had returned to the cage. In view of this docility, I felt it was unnecessary to shut the door. Let it decide when to be inside or out of its prison.
    The instincts of the Ushuaia rabbit are infallible. Every evening it would leave the cage and expand like a fairly thick pudding on the living room floor.
    As is well known, its feces are produced at midnight on odd days. If one collects (in the spirit of play, naturally) these little green metallic polyhedrons in a sack and shakes them, they make a lovely sound, with a rather Caribbean rhythm.
    < 4 >
    To tell the truth, I have little in common with Vanesa Gonçalves, my girlfriend. She is considerably different from me. Instead of admiring the many positive qualities of the Ushuaia rabbit, she thought best to skin it in order to have a fur coat made for herself. This can be done at night when the animal is elongated and the surface of its skin is broad enough that the cartilaginous ridges are displaced to the edges and don't get in the way of the incision and cutting. I did not want to help her do this operation. Armed with only dressmaking scissors, Vanesa relieved the Ushuaia rabbit of all the skin on its back. In the bathtub, with detergent and running water, a brush and bleach, she washed off any amber or bile that remained on the skin. Then she dried it with a towel, folded it, put it in a plastic bag, and very happily took it off to her house.
    It only takes eight to ten hours for the skin to completely regenerate. Vanesa had visions of a great scheme: each night she could skin the Ushuaia rabbit and sell its fur. I would not allow it. I did not want to convert a scientific discovery of such importance into a vulgar commercial enterprise.
    However, an ecological society reported the deed, and a paid announcement came out in the papers accusing "Valeria Gonzلlez" – and, by association, me – of cruelty to animals.
    As I knew would happen, the onset of autumn restored the rabbit's telepathic language, and although its cultural milieu is limited, we were able to have agreeable conversations and even to establish a kind of, how shall I say, code of coexistence.
    The rabbit let me know that it was not partial to Vanesa, and I had no trouble understanding why. I asked my girlfriend not to come to the house any more.
    Perhaps in gratitude, the Ushuaia rabbit perfected a way of expanding less at night, so that I was able to bring all the furniture back to the living room. It sleeps on the loveseat and deposits its metallic polyhedrons on the rug. It never eats to excess, and in this as in everything else, its conduct is measured and worthy of praise and respect.
    < 5 >
    The rabbit's delicacy and efficiency reached the extreme of asking me what would be, for me, its ideal daytime size. I said I would have preferred the size of a cockroach, but I realized that such a small size put the Ushuaia rabbit in danger of being stepped on (though not of being killed).
    After several attempts, we decided that at night the Ushuaia rabbit would continue to expand to the size of a very large dog or even a leopard. During the day, the ideal would be that of a medium-sized cat.
    This allows me, when I am watching television, for example, to have the Ushuaia rabbit on my lap where I can stroke it absentmindedly. We have formed a solid friendship, and sometimes we need only look at each other for mutual understanding. Nevertheless, these telepathic faculties that function during the winter months disappear with the first warm spells.
    We are now in the last month of winter. The Ushuaia rabbit is aware that for the next six months it will not be able to ask me questions or make suggestions or receive advice or congratulations from me.
    Lately it's fallen into a kind of repetitive mania. It tells me, as if I didn't know, that it is the only surviving Ushuaia rabbit in the world. It knows it has no way of reproducing, but – though I have asked many times – the rabbit has never said whether it is bothered by this or not.
    Moreover, the rabbit continuously asks me – every day and several times a day – whether there is any use for it to go on living like this, alone in the world, with me yes, but without other creatures of its own kind. There is no way it can kill itself, and there is no way I could – and even if there were, I would never do it – kill such a sweet, affectionate animal.
    And so, as long as we experience the last cold spells of the year, I continue to converse with the Ushuaia rabbit, stroking it absentmindedly. When warm weather returns, I shall only be able to stroke it.

ElaBel in Njavan

10. کاربرانی که از پست مفید ElaBel سپاس کرده اند.

اطلاعات موضوع

کاربرانی که در حال مشاهده این موضوع هستند

در حال حاضر 1 کاربر در حال مشاهده این موضوع است. (0 کاربران و 1 مهمان ها)

موضوعات مشابه

1. آموزشی: سال 1389=سال اورانیوم
    توسط ghasem motamedi در انجمن مهندسی مواد و متالورژي
    پاسخ ها: 50
    آخرين نوشته: 7th February 2013, 11:26 AM
  2. برنامه نویسی c
    توسط آبجی در انجمن برنامه نویسی تحت سیستم عامل
    پاسخ ها: 7
    آخرين نوشته: 25th May 2010, 12:40 AM
  3. Logorama - oscar 2010, best animated short film
    توسط LaDy Ds DeMoNa در انجمن انيميشن
    پاسخ ها: 0